UK electrical items in Spain

Information on news that is happening in Spain, such as Telefonica reducing charges or other general questions
sarah

UK electrical items in Spain

Post by sarah »

What is the position with our fridge, freezer, dvd recorders etc. As they are 3 pin and spanish sockets are 2 pin, this means there is no earth pin in Spain. Does this mean if we use the electrical appliances that they are not earthed and we are leaving ourselves open to an electric shock. I know there are travel adaptors but I don't think they are supposed to be used for items such as these.

sarah
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

Your white goods, ie fridge, freezer, kettle, washing machine, etc MUST be earthed otherwise you will get an electric shock from the metal casing if there is an earth leak, we have used the uk/spanish convertors but to be safe I would buy new Spanish plugs and change, it is quite easy.

In Spain you will find that some sockets are earthed and others aren't. You will need to change the plugs on the appliances and ensure that they are plugged into earthed sockets,

Generally UK audio/video equipment is not earthed even though three pin plugs are fitted. If you follow the lead into the back of, for example, a satellite receiver you will find that the connection only has two pins and when you cut off the UK plug to fit a Spanish one you will only find a phase and a neutral (brown and blue). Here you can buy a replacement lead with Spanish plug in the shops, they work fine.

If you are in any doubt when you arrive here get an electrician to change the plugs for you.

Ian
Tom

Post by Tom »

I've changed some of our white goods, very easy and no problem in them still working.

Tom
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

ALSO...travel adaptors should generally not be used for long term use, yet we have and have only one slight problem and the appliance was an ornage juicer!

Ian
sarah

Post by sarah »

Thank you for your help.

S