Not registered your pay as you go mobile?

Information on news that is happening in Spain, such as Telefonica reducing charges or other general questions
Ian
Site Admin

Not registered your pay as you go mobile?

Post by Ian »

Yes this weekend, Sunday 8 November 2010 will see millions of Mobile phones dis-connected from their mobile network. Those who haven't registered their number will have to get a new number.

Redtel, which represents the phone companies in Spain had asked for the phone numbers to be merely suspended, so that they could be re-activated when the owner of the line identifies him or herself, but the Government has rejected the idea, insisting in a complete removal of the number from service. That decision has been criticised by the FACUA consumers group among others, and notes that any outstanding balance on the pre-paid cards will also be lost.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

After a last minute meeting between the government and the mobile companies, users who have not registered their mobile will be able to make only 112 emergency calls and have up to 6 months to register their mobile. Until they do so they can't make calls to any other numbers. At the end of the 6 months the lines will be turned off completely and any credit value lost.
allan

Post by allan »

This story got into UK newspapers, who were surprised that the UK
hadn't got there first. George Orwell must be spinning in his grave.

Allan
allan

Post by allan »

Does this mean that holidaymakers who are here for a couple of weeks
will need to register their mobiles? If so, I can't see it being very practical
and if not it isn't much use as a security measure, assuming that's what
it's meant to be.

I haven't got a mobile myself, so I'll admit I'm not sure how the system
works.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

I'm not aware that foreign mobiles will be banned from the Spanish networks. Just Spanish sim cards/mobiles that didn't have a name, address and passport/NIE number registered against it.

So if you are a member of those groups who wish to cause havoc they would need to use a mobile from another country. I'm not sure how restrictive the sale of sim cards are against a valid ID in other places in the world.

In the end it's another way of the government letting the mobile companies earn millions without doing anything