Info on Costa de la Luz

General questions or news on the Costa de la Luz area
Tom

Info on Costa de la Luz

Post by Tom »

Could someone give an opinion on the Costa de la luz, It seems to be getting popular, just bought a property here.

Tom
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

The Costa de la Luz is very long and basically divided into 2 parts. The part west of Donaña park which is Huelva Province and the part to the east - Cadiz Province. Each has a slightly different feeling. The Huelva side is a bit more like the Algarve of Portugal but with more new building going on. However, the new building is being suitably 'controlled' so the coast line is never going to be ruined. This side has access to the hills inland such as Sierra de Aracena which borders on the next northerly province of Extramadura. Access to Seville is easy.

The eastern side, in my opinion, more interesting as it has a mixture of different towns and cities as well as a good infrastructure particulalrly around Cadiz Bay. Some parts have been over developed but it is not as bad as other costas I have seen. A town like El Puerto de Santa Maria, which has grown up with the sherry business, does have plenty of activity year round, plus very American as the airbase is close by at Rota. It's not as quiet or as Spanish as Sanlucar.

One thing about the Costa de la Luz is the tidal sea - it's on the Atlantic so the beaches are washed by the tides - and the winds. Sometimes the levante wind can blow very sharply from the east. In winter it is nippy to say the least. However the wind ususally blows out after a couple of days. The more humid winds from the Atlantic are indeed humid and this is one of the reasons the sherry bodegas are well placed for the aging process. Sanlucar is protected by the National Park and the winds are never as bad.

The beaches are generally marvellous with natural sand and with the Atlantic ocean, you can find some good surfing days. Cheap flights cane be had to Jerez and Seville (Ryanair) as well as good roads. A new dual carriageway road has now been opened from near Gibraltar to Jerez (A381) which is a real bonus. Railway links are also being improved from Cadiz to Seville. Roads generally are good in the region.

Ian
jim

Post by jim »

The Costa de la Luz is still the un-found part of Andalucia with lots of small villages to visit by the coast and not very far inland.

You can still find those true Spanish villages here without looking too far. Sanlucar is still my choice by a long distance.
julie

Post by julie »

My favorite parts of the Costa de la Luz are Sanlucar, Jerez, some parts of Chiclana and Roche & Conil