Sanlucar or Santa Maria?

General questions or news on Sanlucar de Barrameda
Gadgee

Sanlucar or Santa Maria?

Post by Gadgee »

Any views welcomed.

We are looking at spending a month or two in the area early next year to escape the Scottish winter.

Whilst we have been advised to look at El Puerto de Santa Maria as a base for a week in October whilst we explore the area looking for accommodation for the longer stay, I came across Sanlucar which, from what I can see, could be an alternative base for October and maybe even an option to consider for the long stay next year.

We are looking for a small quiet coastal town but with a decent choice of restaurants and shops, reasonable access to transport (buses etc.), golf nearby and hopefully somewhere to wet a line if I can fathom out the permit position,

Thanks in advance.
John T
Black Isle
Scotland
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Sanlucar or Santa Maria?

Post by Ian »

It depends on what you want. El Puerto has a more internation feel to it, where Sanlucar is more Spanish.

Sanlucar is more central and if you rent in a central location you can do most things on foot. In El Puerto it's more spread out. El Puerto will be more expensive.

Sanlucar has a one golf course and El Puerto has three golf courses. More are available a short drive away, Costa Ballena, Jerez x 2 etc.

Both towns have lots of restaurants and tapas bars. El Puerto has good bus/train/Ferry links to Jerez & Cadiz and other smaller towns.

Sanlucar transport comes in the form of bus to Seville, Jerez, Chipiona Cadiz, El Puerto and even to the Sierra de Grazalema park.

It's all what you want from the town.

Ian
allan

Re: Sanlucar or Santa Maria?

Post by allan »

Personally I prefer Sanlucar. El Puerto is much bigger so you get an El Corte Ingles. However it sprawls and is rather confusing on foot. It doesn't really seem to have
any centre. Sanlucar is small and compact and a pleasure to stroll around.

Anyway, Manzanilla beats Fino anyday :-)

Allan