House hunting

General questions or news on Sanlucar de Barrameda
Micaela

House hunting

Post by Micaela »

Hi all! New to this forum. Hubby and I from the US house hunting in beautiful Spain. We're looking in Cádiz area as hubby is retired US military and would like to be closer to the Navy Base in Rota.
We've visited Jerez, El Puerto and Sanlucar in the past. Now about to visit Chiclana and Bornos in one week. My question is to those that know or have lived in longer in these areas, which of the above mentioned cities (Jerez, Sanlucar, El Puerto, Chiclana... ) stays energized and is more affordable to live in year round. Also, is public transportation in the city of Sanlúcar easily accessible as we don't own a car for now. I am fluent in Spanish but hubby is not although he understands quiet a bit. I've researched so and read so much about each place is getting harder to choose. Like I said, we have also visited these places in the past but I find the word of mouth to be the best.Thank you so much for sharing your opinions.
Micaela
Jarkko

Re: House hunting

Post by Jarkko »

Hi Micaela,
until Ian wakes up and sees the topic here are my thoughts in a nutshell, unfortunately we been here only since October, but on the other hand it is only a few months since we were in the same process!

And ended up in Sanlucar.

In our shortlist there was Cadiz, Puerto de Santa Maria, Chipiona and Sanlucar after some desktop research, we visited those cities from our base in Chipiona and after 3-4 days of active search decided to settle here.

This is lively enough all year round, we wanted to be close to the sea, the housing is a lot more affordable than in several other places, there is a rich tapas culture, easy to park. Not too many tourists or foreigners which I personally see as a plus. The public transport seems to work too, but this is a human size city where there probably is no need to use the bus, of course depending on your needs.

After visiting those other places I have to say that we would probably have been happy in also several other cities, but Cadiz is too crowded and impossible with a car, Chipiona is dead at winter, there is no sea at Jerez, too many tourists in Sevilla which otherwise is a miraculous city.. and so on.

The good news is that you will find a nice place, but to make a choice... it is tough and will be decided on random things in the end. Will be interesting to see where you end up!
Jarkko

Post by Jarkko »

And regarding transport between cities you all should check out Blablacar, it is kind of an AirBNB of car rides.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

To follow on from Jarkko's comments, Chipiona is too quiet in winter and way too busy in summer. We are talking 15 thousand people now and 150.000 to 200.000 in summer... No parking spaces and everywhere is packed.

El Puerto has a more international feel to it and so are the property prices. You will probably find something with bigger rooms but will cost more.

Jerez is a great city, has all the facilities such as airport, train and bus connections. Plenty of activities, more expats there and in summer you are talking 5-10c hotter than the coast.

Cadiz very similar to el Puerto but more expensive, lot more tourists due to cruise liners.

Sanlucar for me is my favourite...but I am going to say that..!! Has reasonable bus connections to Jerez, Cadiz, chipiona and el puerto, the locals will treat you like their own...has all facilities only less than doubles in summer from 65k to around 110k, an all year round town.

By all means feel free to drop me an email on this website or a WhatsApp on 662 000 394 with your specific requirements and I can see what is possible in the Sanlucar area for you.

I am currently in the UK and back at the end of this week.

Regards Ian
Kafilo

Post by Kafilo »

Can you tell me what is the price of a 2 bedroom house in Chipiona plus/minus? My wife and I decided to buy real estate in Spain and we are looking into different costal areas. We would like to finish the deal by the end of this year and get a holiday house in Spain.
Last edited by Kafilo on 01 Jul 2020, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

Hi,

If you send me your property requirements on the following contact form I can source properties that are available for you. I also work as an estate agent:

http://www.sanlucar-de-barrameda.com/contact_us.php

Are you specifically looking for Chipiona or open to other areas, such as Sanlucar, el Puerto and Rota all on the coast.

the price is very dependant on lots of variables, such as location to beach, desired area, community facilities, outside space, parking/garage etc. prices are anything from 65,000e upwards.

Please note purchase costs/taxes will be around 12% of the purchase price.

Regards Ian