Info about the town

General questions or news on Sanlucar de Barrameda
MortalCoil

Info about the town

Post by MortalCoil »

Hi,

I'm thinking of possibly moving to Sanlucar de Barrameda but have a few questions. Sorry, there are quite a few actually :D

Are there any cycle paths around the town and along the beach, etc? If so is it fairly easy to cycle round or is it a very hilly area?

Is the beach area within walking distance from the town centre? What are the beaches like? I love Cadiz and Conil, so are the beaches in Sanlucar comparable to those?

Is is a safe area?

Is it a good town for shopping?

Is is it easy to catch buses along the coast to other nearby towns and beaches?

Are there any walking/hiking routes within easy reach?

Thanks in advance!
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Info about the town

Post by Ian »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Are there any cycle paths around the town and along the beach, etc? If so is it fairly easy to cycle round or is it a very hilly area?
Along the beach there is a short cycle path section by the main beach, but there are lots of other cycle paths, taking you to Chipiona and then routes to Jerez, El Puerto, Rota and into the national park on the Sanlucar side of the river. It is very flat.

Is the beach area within walking distance from the town centre? What are the beaches like? I love Cadiz and Conil, so are the beaches in Sanlucar comparable to those?
The beaches are very good, but its the river in Sanlucar, so although the water very safe its not got the waves you get in Chipiona and Costa Ballena etc. Yes its a few hundred metres from the town centre. Look on Google maps and it will show you the location.

Is is a safe area?
Yes very safe

Yes there are lots of local shops, markets and many supermarkets, large commercial chain shops are available on the outskirts of sanlucar and Jerez or el Puerto

direct buses run to costal towns such as Chipiona, El puerto and Cadiz

The Sierra de Cadiz has many walking areas such as Arcos, Grazalema, El Bosque and then others heading more south instead of east
MortalCoil

Post by MortalCoil »

Thanks Ian, you're a star! This information is a great help. :D

I've read that the river can be a bit smelly at times and there can be lots of mossies, is that really the case?

Thanks!
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

Your welcome.

Mosquitos live in the national park across the river and do make visits to Sanlucar for a bite to eat and draw some blood from the local blood donors. Mosquito nets and repellent will always help and in hot Mediterranean countries its nothing unusual and not a problem.

I wouldn't say the river smells, I only go in the sea furter down the coast in costa Ballena.

If you are looking for properties to rent or buy, let me know as I run an estate agency business.

ian
Kafilo

Post by Kafilo »

Ian wrote: 21 May 2020, 11:07 Hi and welcome to the forum.

Along the beach there is a short cycle path section by the main beach, but there are lots of other cycle paths, taking you to Chipiona and then routes to Jerez, El Puerto, Rota and into the national park on the Sanlucar side of the river. It is very flat.

The beaches are very good, but its the river in Sanlucar, so although the water very safe its not got the waves you get in Chipiona and Costa Ballena etc. Yes its a few hundred metres from the town centre. Look on Google maps and it will show you the location.

Is is a safe area?
Yes very safe

Yes there are lots of local shops, markets and many supermarkets, large commercial chain shops are available on the outskirts of sanlucar and Jerez or el Puerto

direct buses run to costal towns such as Chipiona, El puerto and Cadiz

The Sierra de Cadiz has many walking areas such as Arcos, Grazalema, El Bosque and then others heading more south instead of east
This is a really great and very detailed answer. I am thinking of visiting this town with my wife this August. Will there be a lot of tourists during this time? Maybe you can advise a better time of the year to come?
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Any time outside of July & August is the best time to visit the area if you don't want the crowded beaches, bars and restaurants. However this year may be very different.